So many kids, I don't know what to do.



Thursday, July 15, 2010

New Words

As a follow up to my favorite word post. I decided to post this.

A list of new words I learned from the book I just read. The book was The Condition. It was not a spectacular book. It was a decent summer read. It did have a spectacular vocabulary.

You don't have to make fun of me if these are words I should already know. You don't have to, but if you want to. I can take it.


pulchritude - physical beauty, comliness (noun)

Ex. There was a lack of pulchritude at the pool today. I felt like Mrs. America by comparison.



limbic - pertaining to a border. Marginal (Adjective)

Ex. I rode my bike out to the limbic parts of Katy and even into Brookshire where I was nearly run down by an eighteen wheeler.



lumpen - pertaining to disenfranchised or uprooted individuals. (Adjective)

Ex. My kids have been returning from Grandma's with the attitude of lumpen refugees being delivered from temporary paradise back to a pathetically impoverished home.



vaunted - praised boastfully or excessively (Adjective)

Her highly vaunted blog was read by many thousands.



What interesting words have you come across lately? Or made up?

2 comments:

  1. Great words and I love your example sentences! Sorry, I don't have any interesting words to contribute... mostly due to merely somniferous reading. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah I didn't know any of these!

    I'm a new follower :)

    -Victoria
    http://www.adventuresinmommyhood.net

    ReplyDelete

I always like to know someone is listening!