So many kids, I don't know what to do.



Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pesky Brothers

I have read several posts recently that remind me of my little brother, Uncle Bachelor.  Since all my family clamors to be the subject of my blog I thought I should write the post.
First thanks for the inspiration.
Joey wrote about her daughter's birdhouse.
Mr. Daddy wrote about the Clean Plate Club.

Uncle Bachelor was the mischievous sort. He was sweet, but he would fight with the neighbor.  Seriously though, Uncle Jason rode around in a red plastic fire truck for years.  Who wouldn't want to beat him up?

One year my parents were out tending to the yard at our old house.  They were picking squash and I was hiding it as fast as I could because I didn't like squash.  I think I even went door to door and sold some to the neighbors.  Ok.  I KNOW I did.

During the gardening my pesky little brother and his frenemy from next door decided they were going to build a frog trap. 

Apparently they came across the idea while watching Robinson Caruso or something.  Luckily they didn't have access to a goat, or they might have lain a trap for Chupacabra.  They started off by digging a large hole in the front flower bed right next to the cedar tree I was allergic too.  They then covered with huge hole with two or three cedar leaves.  (Leaves?  Branches?)  When my dad asked how this was a frog trap Uncle Bachelor who could not have been older than four explained that a frog would be hopping around until it hopped onto the leaves and then it would fall into the hole which was too deep from which to escape.
My dad chuckled and my brother and I waited till he left to start in with the serious harassment.  We told him how dumb he was to think his frog trap would work.  (I am pretty sure Guns did most of the insulting.  I would never do something like that.)

The next morning we got up and lo and behold the biggest toad I have ever seen was in the hole.  It was ginormous.  It could have walked out of the hole and driven to the corner store for a pack of smokes, but it sat there like the dutiful doomed amphibian it was.   Uncle Bachelor was beside himself.  I remember thinking even then, "Doesn't that just figure?"  Later I overheard my mom ask my dad if he had captured a frog and put it in the hole.  He denied it.  Apparently the frenemy's parents had nothing to do with it either.  From all accounts is seems like his frog trap actually worked.

Of course.  Pesky Brother.

10 comments:

  1. frenemy...I though only little girls had those :)

    enjoyed the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to visit you back when I saw your blog title - love it! And such a great story. Uncle Bachelor...yeah, my "little" brother too. Sadly most of my true stories about him involve camping tents that get way too hot for little bro who cannot sleep without every part of his skin covered, then then pukes. or gets wiser (?) as he gets older and stips naked -- before exiting said tent - to puke. not sure which is worse. LOL Needless to say, he gets his own tent whenever we camp now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see my future. It is bleak.

    No seriously, such a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on. I'm dying to hear who put it in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids once built a trap similar to that, but it was for leprechauns. Too bad it didn't work as well as your brother's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! I would have been selling, or donating, that squash as fast as I could go too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that is HILARIOUS! I love that he caught a toad- just to prove all the nay-sayers wrong. But this description, " It could have walked out of the hole and driven to the corner store for a pack of smokes" is classic. I literally LOL'd at that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely cracking up at your retelling! This is crazy hilarious - and the same line that LOL'd Julie, is the one that put this over the edge for me.

    Thank you so much for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that was a great story! What's so bad about riding around in a red plastic fire truck?

    ReplyDelete

I always like to know someone is listening!