So many kids, I don't know what to do.



Friday, October 8, 2010

Nap Interrupted

I was off for Yom Kippur last month and my kids were not.  I figured after my errands I could take a nap for an hour and a half before the first kid got home from school.

Here is a reminder of why I don't attempt to nap.


I needed a nap. Tayte had been waking up at night to go potty and then he wakes me up to put him back to bed.

I laid down and I was out. It was heavenly.
The phone rang. It was my oldest wanting to know if I would come get him. I pointed out that The Coach works at the very same school he attends. They were probably six feet from each other.  Could he possibly catch a ride with him? Duh.

Back to sleep.
Phone rings. It was the oldest telling me The Coach was working on the field. Could I come get him, because it was going to take at least twenty more minutes.  I told him he would have to wait until Saige got home. (Turns out when he went to ask The Coach what time he would be leaving The Coach said, "Your mom is taking a nap do not call her again." Big Trouble.)

Back to sleep.
Phone rings. It is second child. It turns out they cancelled his football practice. He rode the bus home, but wanted to know could he go to a friend's. Sure.

Drifting off.
Door slam. It is Tanner. I can hear the dog following him around because he is her one true love. Door slam. Tanner out. Now the dog is whining because he didn't take her along. Door Slam. Back in. Door slam. Tanner out.

At this poitn I am beginning to give up on ever sleeping due to extreme annoyance. Out of stubborness I hold strong and at just lay there annoyed.

Phone rings. It is oldest again.

I holler, "OK. I GIVE UP. I am freaking coming."

So. That is four phone calls in one hour. Three door slams.

Maybe I will get a nap on Yom Kippur next year.

(Actually I get one most Sundays that The Coach doesn't have a tournament.  It is heavenly!)

9 comments:

  1. you make having kids sound better and better! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days I think I would trade almost anything for a nap. Sunday naps sound great, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the universe (or our kids) conspire against a good nap!

    Sorry you missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always happens that way here too...it is never quiet on the days I decide to take a nap.

    Thanks for the GL. And yes, throw away clothes are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, that's why I can't nap either. It stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredibly frustrating nap experience!! Ugh! That really stinks. Better luck next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I so know that feeling of nap annoyance! Kids just do not understand the importance of mom having time for herself, even if it's just a nap.

    Thank you so much for your prayers. I am back in the land of the seeing and so completely grateful to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny! And true! Now I know why all the "seasoned" moms at my baby shower encouraged me to "sleep now." I had no idea how right they were.

    ReplyDelete

I always like to know someone is listening!